Today marks the 40th year of Earth Day, originally started by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson on April 22, 1970, that is now celebrated in 190 countries. Earth Day is an opportunity for us to reflect and raise awareness about important environmental issues and, more importantly, take action to improve our planet!!
Here are 7 interesting facts to reflect upon:
- 1/3 of all water is used to flush the toilet.
- Each person throws away approximately four pounds of garbage every day.
- An average family throw away about 88 pounds of plastic every year
- Almost 13 billion pounds of trash is dumped into the ocean every year
- Fossil fuels are being consumed 100,000 times faster than they are being formed
- For every ton of newspaper recycled, 17 trees are saved
- Approximately 27% of all food produced in North America is gone to waste
If you want to take action and don’t know how, we encourage you to visit Pick 5 for the Environment website. Also, if you have a twitter account you can follow: @epagov to get updates throughout the day.